Consumers living in Pretoria should not fret about finding available debt counselling services in Pretoria, as there is a plethora of choices available to them. When The National Credit Act came into effect in 2007, intrepid future debt counsellors seized the opportunity to set up shop and as a result, consumers in Pretoria have a wealth of available debt counsellors waiting to help them beat debt.
Although consumers may know this, they may still be weary of trusting a complete stranger with key financial information, and rightly so. There are criteria that need to be met before a person can dispense debt counselling including the following:
- The debt counsellor must have matric and be over the age of 18.
- They must have completed and NCR approved course in debt counselling. And they must provide proof of this upon request from the consumer.
- They must adhere to the fee structure advised in The National Credit Act – including registration and rejection fees.
- They must be registered with the NCR. Consumers can contact the NCR to verify this fact.
- They must use the prescribed forms for debt counselling, and adhere to the time limits for administrative acts associated with debt counselling. These include informing creditors that the consumer has applied for debt counselling within 5 days of the application.
- They must allocate a Payment Distribution Agency to receive money from the consumer once debt payment commences – therefore they may not receive money directly from the consumer.
If a counsellor does not adhere to these debt counselling practices, consumers should seek another debt counselling agency in Pretoria.
When looking for debt counselling, it is not hard to find an agency that advertises – the hard part is discerning a quality, consumer driven debt counselling agency in Pretoria from one that is only focused on profit.
Article written by: Andrea van Tonder 07-2013